- This database system may be used by UK heritage railways, to the extent defined by the owners.
- Use of the database by railways or companies that do not satisfy the owner's criteria of 'heritage' may still be permitted subject to negotiation and purpose of use.
- In order to maintain the integrity of the database and the reputation of the website and the industry as a whole, house rules will naturally be required. These are set out here.
- There is currently no charge to use the database for bona-fide heritage railways, however, the owners reserve the right to apply charge to part or all of the database in the future.
- HOPS must absolutely not be used to send spam e-mail. If any railway is found to be using HOPS to send spam e-mail their authority to use the system may be withdrawn without warning.
- If the owners of the HOPS system encounter any issues with an individual user from a railway, we will attempt to negotiate with the railway concerned to resolve the issue. This might be due to, for example, the user's behaviour on a discussion forum.
- If any issue with an individual user or a railway organisation as a whole cannot be satisfactorily resolved by negotiation, the owners of the database reserve the right, at their absolute discretion, to refuse a specific user or a specific railway access to the database again.
- It is the responsibility of the subscriber railways, before entering data into HOPS, to ensure that doing so is within the terms under which the subject user initially provided the information to the railway.