Bressingham BackgroundBressingham is a tourist attraction (and accredited Museum) on the Norfolk Suffolk border, we open seasonally daily from Easter to the end of October and have done since 1961.
We are home to the National Dads Army Collection, 18 Acres of Garden, we house part of the NRM collection as well as our founders Alan Bloom's collection of steam machinery (road, rail and a Gallopers Roundabout). We operate trains every day we are open, over our three Narrow Gauge and single Standard Gauge Line.
Think of us as a steam powered visitor attraction rather than a railway.
Role DescriptionTo assist in the maintenance of steam engines, rolling stock and other machinery at Bressingham; particularly Welding, sheet metal work and fitting. This will be work done on historically important and valuable exhibits thereby contributing to the successful and safe operation of an educational visitor attraction/museum for 2020 and beyond.
Role ResponsibilitiesDuties of the Post:
The main duties and responsibilities of the post include:
1. Welding, sheet metal work and machining parts for steam engines, rolling stock and other machinery .
2. Fitting, welding, grinding, repairs and lifting
3. Ensuring the safe operation of steam engines, rolling stock and machinery
4. Cleaning and painting machinery when required
5. Undertaking running repairs as necessary
6. To undertake restoration of steam engines, rolling stock and machinery and show due diligence for the management of such projects
7. Work to assist in the maintenance of railway buildings where necessary
8. Work with colleagues across the museum to create an attractive, safe and successful organisation.
9. Drive steam, diesel and electric locomotives when necessary
10. Assist in whatever way possible during emergency situations
11. Assist with engineering requirements of the track maintenance team on occasion when directed by the Chief Mechanical Engineer
12. Assist with engineering related aspects of seasonal changes to the museums outward facing displays
13. Liaise with external contractors for quotes, letting of tenders and onsite management of external contractors as directed by the Chief Mechanical Engineer
14. Participate in preventative maintenance of steam engines, rolling stock and machinery at Bressingham
15. Participate in the preparation of steam boilers for inspection as required
16. Keep necessary maintenance records as directed by Bressingham’s Management systems
17. Conduct safety and operational inspections of steam engines, rolling stock and machinery
18. Travel when required to inspect potential acquisitions by the museum in conjunction with the Chief Mechanical Engineer/General Manager or his/her nominee
19. Travel when necessary to inspect and conduct running repairs to Bressingham’s Steam Engines that are offsite when required to do so
20. Work at moderate heights to participate in the restoration and maintenance of steam engines, rolling stock and other machinery
21. Take responsibility for the health and safety of visitors and other staff, conducting risk assessments as necessary, seeking expert help and guidance as needed.
22. Where relevant, comply with relevant regulatory and statutory requirements.
23. Any other duties as may reasonably be assigned from time to time by the Chief Mechanical Engineer/General Manager or his/her nominee
Number of Positions Available1
CommitmentContract status: Permanent
Hours of work: Five Days Per Week (40 Hours) - alternate weekends April to October plus two in December before Christmas
Volunteer / EmployedThis is an employed position.
ManagerialThis is not a managerial position.
SafetyThis is not a safety critical position.
Closing DateOpen-ended / No specific closing date.
Vacancy Ref: 138.